The World of Mobile Phones: Mobile Ownership by Country
Are you one of those who enjoy random information and facts especially when it comes to technology? If so, you’re in luck because today’s random factoids are about mobile phones and geography.
In Saudi Arabia and Russia, those who own mobile phones have more than one mobile phone in use. Did you know that in China, 70% of people say they can’t live without their mobile phones? It’s not surprising as we rely more and more on our phones for daily tasks and simple things. From choosing a restaurant to writing out a grocery shopping list, we have become more and more dependent on our phones.
Here are some interesting global stats.
- 51% use smartphones in bed.
- 21% of 16-17 years olds have engaged in “sexting.”
- 23% use smartphones during a meeting or class. That’s almost double the population of California.
- 70% of mobile phones are made in China.
- 2.7 billion texts are sent in China daily. That is equivalent to every person in the UK sending 43 texts each day to match this.
UNITED KINGDOM (UK)
- Over a quarter of adults and half of all teens own a smartphone.
- 22% of adults and 47% of teens admit to answering their phones in the bathroom.
- 37% of adults and 60% of teens admit they are “highly addicted” to their smartphones. That’s double the amount of cigarette smokers.
- 53% of of adults have either lost or had their phones stolen. That’s almost double the amount of people worldwide registered on Twitter.
- Only 2 in 5 people have enabled password protection of their phone.
- 6 out of 10 people have software which identifies their phone’s physical location.
- There are 14.3 million unused mobile handsets lying around Australia. That’s more than 3 times the population of New Zealand.
- 70% of people have at least one old mobile phone at home.
- 32% have 2 or more unused mobile phones at home.
- However, only 3% of old mobile phones are recycled in Australia.
- The mobile phone penetration rate is 154%. That’s an average of 1.5 mobile phones per person.
- Is the largest mobile phone market in Europe and the 6th largest in the world at 220 million mobile phone subscriptions.
- Despite the market size, only 11% have smartphones and most people are connected via old 2G networks.