Google Maps Now Let’s You See the Inside of Buildings
Hi Dolphin fans,
Good news for Android users with the latest release and update of Google Maps 6.0!
This latest update now serves like an X-ray for buildings — especially handy for airports, convention centers, shopping malls and all areas with crowds. It’s actually pretty cool as Google has since partnered with over 25 major businesses that handle large crowds on a daily basis like Macy’s, Bloomingdale’s and major airports across the U.S., Puerto Rico and Japan.
Think about this — you won’t have to be lost or wonder where the closest restroom, coffee shop or food is when you are in crowded spaces.
The development of this technology will serve to bring about two obvious developments industry-wide in the near future:
1) Greater and more sophisticated cell phone navigation capability from handset manufacturers.
2) A boost in demand to the location based services industry — from targeted advertising, promotions to check-ins.
Here is an example of an indoor floorplan of a department store in downtown NYC:
For those of you who are business owners, let your customer’s see and navigate the inside of your store. Add your floorplan to Google here.
- Akron-Canton Airport (CAK)
- Atlanta Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport (ATL)
- Boise International Airport (BOI)
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport (CLT)
- Chicago Midway International Airport (MDW)
- Chicago O’Hare International Airport (ORD)
- Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL)
- George Bush Houston International Airport (IAH)
- Indianapolis International Airport (IND)
- Kansas City International Airport (MCI)
- Lambert-St. Louis International Airport (STL)
- Las Vegas McCarran International Airport (LAS)
- Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport (MSP)
- Norman Y. Mineta San Jose International Airport (SJC)
- Portland International Airport (PDX)
- San Francisco International Airport (SFO)
- Seattle-Tacoma International Airport (SEA)
- William P. Hobby Airport (HOU)
- DDR Corp. shopping centers in Puerto Rico, including Plaza del Atlántico in Arecibo, Plaza del Sol in Bayamon, Plaza Rio Hondo in Bayamon, Plaza del Norte in Hatillo, Plaza Palma Real in Humacao and Senorial Plaza in Rio Piedras
- Vallco Shopping mall in Cupertino, CA
- Brixmor Property Group including Eagle Rock Plaza in Los Angeles, CA
- Mall of America
- Home Depot*
- Narita International Airport
- Haneda Airport, International Terminal
- Haneda Airport, Domestic Terminal
- JR East in Tokyo and Chiba (main stations)
- Tokyu Corporation (main stations)
- Tokyo Midtown Daimaru
- Printems Ginza
- Marunouchi Building
- Shin-Marunouchi Building
- Marunouchi OAZO
- Marunouchi BRICK SQUARE
- TOKIA Tokyo Building
- Shibuya 109
- 109 MEN’S
- Roppongi Hills
- Venus Fort
- Tokyu Hands Ikebukuro
- DECKS TOKYO BEACH
- Remy gotanda
- LaLa port TOYOSU
- The National Museum of Emerging Science and Innovation (Miraikan)
Note that Indoor Maps is available for Android 2.2 or above device in Google Maps for mobile version 6.0 or above.
Image courtesy of CNN