American English Idioms & Phrases Apk
A Reference Guide to American English Idioms for American English Learners
As with any language, American English is full of idioms, especially when spoken.
Idioms add color and texture to language by creating images that convey meanings beyond those of the individual words that make them up. Idioms are culturally bound, providing insight into the history, culture, and outlook of their users.
The complexity of idioms is what makes them so difficult for non-native speakers to learn. However, this complexity is also what can make idioms so interesting to study and learn; they are rarely boring. Learning about idioms, in this case those used in the United States, provides a way to learn not only the language, but a little about the people who use it.
Idioms can be so overused that they become clichés; or they can become slang or jargon, expressions used mainly by specific groups or professions.
Idioms can be complimentary or insulting. They can express a wide range of emotions from excitement to depression, love to hate, heroism to cowardice, and anything in between. Idioms are also used to express a sense of time, place, or size. The range of uses for idioms is complex and widespread.
American English Idioms is a collection of common idioms updated and compiled, updating the content by including idioms that have come into use more recently and eliminating those that are rarely used.
When available, background information is included about the origins of the idioms.
Additionally Application includes categories of commonly used idioms.
Organization of this Application:
"American English Idioms" is divided into Four parts.
☆ Part 1: LEARN - Idioms and Definitions
The idioms are listed alphabetically. The only first words not used to place the idioms in order are articles (a, the, some) and pronouns and possessives (someone, one). Instead, these are placed at the end of the idiom, separated by a comma.
☆ Part 2: CATEGORIES - Selected Idioms by Category
- Highlights some of the most commonly used idioms, grouped into categories.
- The idioms were chosen because they are commonly used and understood by native English speakers in the United States.
- These lists are not meant to be complete; many more idioms could be added to these categories.
- In addition, some of the idioms below could be put into more than one category.
☆ Part 3 - 4: CONTEXT TESTS and MEANING TESTS
There are lots of tests which we have made up to help you improve your skills and knowledge.
So having downloaded our application "American English Idioms" on your smartphone you will be able to find and understand necessary idioms, learn them and also test your knowledge.
The app is absolutely free and it does not have in-app purchases and offers.
Enjoy learning American English with our Application! Thank you so much!
Life Hack Studio
Life Hack Studio
How to install American English Idioms & Phrases APK?
2. Click the download button to download American English Idioms & Phrases.Once the download completed,find American English Idioms & Phrases in your download folder or notification center and tap the icon to install the APK.
3. Find American English Idioms & Phrases icon in your home screen then tap the icon to open it.